Sunday, August 18, 2013

Boston Comic Con 2013 (#2)

So, I'm still riding the "Boston Comic Con" wave in terms of blog material. I've been pretty busy since the con. I'm working on Unpleasantpeople.com (there's nothing but a blank blogger page there at the moment) and re-designing my business card (which I will have handy for MICE) as well as more comics to be featured in Brain Parts #5.

Anyhoo, a few more of my favorite things:
Female Judge Dredd
Arthur Dent



Beast Boy
Female Empire Officer



Decked-Out Poison Ivy
Steampunk Mermaid



Blade 
"Shut up and take my money!"



Tank Girl
Master Shredder


Steampunk Batman
Lady-Riddler

Sailors Venus, Moon and Jupiter
These are some of my favorite genders-swapped cosplays. I know they're pretty much the same costume as the male version, just more fitted, but I like that they didn't give into the pressure to make a conventionally sexy version of the costume. I mean, how many traffic-law-violaters can Judge Dredd blow away while wearing stilettos and a bikini? The guy dressed as blade made some very cool wooden reproductions of the hero's weapons, that I wish I'd taken detailed photos of, as they looked really cool. I was crazy-excited to see Tank Girl (who I would like to be when I grow up) and some classic Shredder and Sailor Shenshi. Oh yeah, and Steampunk Batman? Those wings are totally retractable!

This year I was rather print-happy. I've never really gotten into buying prints at a con, I'm so focused on the comics, but there was such beautiful work for sale, I couldn't help myself.

Top left: a print by Emily Smith. I was down to my last spending-bucks when I swung by her table, otherwise I would have gotten more of her stunning prints. She's definitely a watercolor-master, and when I've got the time, I'm looking forward to reading her webcomic, Acanthity. Should have asked her to sign the print. Dammit!

Top middle and right: pinups by Tracy Lee Quinn. I loved the first one I bought, I went back the next day to get another! Yes, that's Jem from Jem and the Holograms on the right. She was selling them for $5, and I wanted to get in there before she realized she could totally charge more for them!

The bottom print is by artist, inker and editor for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the Mirage years), Eric Talbot. I swarmed his table twice and he was super-cool and signed some of my comics.

 I didn't buy much in the way of comics this year, and I kind of regret not spending much time checking out Artists' Alley. I did, however, snag a copy of "Diabetes is After Your Dick" by the ever talented Cathy Leamy! So, you know, if you have diabetes and a dick, you should probably read this. Even if you have neither, it's still an interesting read!

 Oh yeah, this is a just a little pic of me hangin' with my pal Mike Mignola. No big deal.

My girlfriend Sarah and I bugged him twice, but he was very kind and patient (totally keeping it cool despite the hat-wearing psychopath having a conniption fit in front of him), signing our books and throwing out some self-deprecating humor. In short, he was totally awesome-sauce.

We also met David Mack. I've only read the first couple trades of Kabuki, but he's done so much more, I'll have to raid Sarah's excellent comic collection for more of his work.

Closing out my convention ramblings: some more superheroes in tutus! Enjoy!







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the lovely picture of me in my MegaCity One Judge costume. I wasn't being Dredd specifically(mostly because I wanted to be able to remove my helmet), but my costume was basically a gender-neutral Judge's uniform from the comics that Dredd would have worn. While the comics are generally gender-neutral (except a few instances of female judges in stiletto boots), I've noticed that male Dredd cosplayers will wear leather jackets and pants instead of the skin-tight bodysuit that is generally featured in the comic artwork. I just find that interesting. Basically what I'm saying is I vote for more guys in bodysuits. - Judge Bex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification! I've only read a couple of the Judge Dredd comics from 2000 AD, and I clearly need to read more!

      I vote for more guys in body suits, too!

      Delete